Made possible by the State Library of Kansas through a grant from the U.S Institute of Museum and Library Services.
The kits contain activities relating to the mission of helping children attain 6 reading skills by the age of 6. The kits will be checked out for a period of three months, and may be used in any way the library wishes. You may use all of the activities provided or pick and choose as you see fit.
If you want to check out a kit, please send an email to Sara McFarland (smcfarland @ swkls.org) with the name of the kit in the subject line.
- Print Motivation: Have Fun with Books
- Print Awareness: Notice Print All Around You
- Vocabulary: Talk, Talk, Talk to your children even when they don’t understand what you’re saying
- Narrative Skills: Tell Stories About Everything
- Letter Knowledge: Look for Letters Everywhere
- Phonological Awareness: Take Time to Rhyme, sing and play word games
- Alphabet Under Construction
- Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
- Put It On The List
- Little Cloud
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom
- Seven Blind Mice
- Tip, Tip, Dig Dig
Large Kits Available Soon:
- Blue Sea
- Mushrooms in the Rain
To find out more about 6 by 6 check out the 6 by 6 website.
Information for this page was taken from the Northwest Kansas Library System’s 6 by 6 page. A special thank you to Mary Boller for letting us use their information.